This document is in the public domain. Copying it is
King James Version.
- Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it
down with her hands.
- He that walketh in his uprightness feareth the LORD: but he that
is perverse in his ways despiseth him.
- In the mouth of the foolish is a rod of pride: but the lips of
the wise shall preserve them.
- Where no oxen are, the crib is clean: but much increase is by the
strength of the ox.
- A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter
- A scorner seeketh wisdom, and findeth it not: but knowledge is
easy unto him that understandeth.
- Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not
in him the lips of knowledge.
- The wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way: but the folly
of fools is deceit.
- Fools make a mock at sin: but among the righteous there is
- The heart knoweth his own bitterness; and a stranger doth not
intermeddle with his joy.
- The house of the wicked shall be overthrown: but the tabernacle
of the upright shall flourish.
- There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end
thereof are the ways of death.
- Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; and the end of that
mirth is heaviness.
- The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a
good man shall be satisfied from himself.
- The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh
well to his going.
- A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool
rageth, and is confident.
- He that is soon angry dealeth foolishly: and a man of wicked
devices is hated.
- The simple inherit folly: but the prudent are crowned with
- The evil bow before the good; and the wicked at the gates of the
- The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath
- He that despiseth his neighbour sinneth: but he that hath mercy
on the poor, happy is he.
- Do they not err that devise evil? but mercy and truth shall be
to them that devise good.
- In all labour there is profit: but the talk of the lips tendeth
only to penury.
- The crown of the wise is their riches: but the foolishness of
fools is folly.
- A true witness delivereth souls: but a deceitful witness
- In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children
shall have a place of refuge.
- The fear of the LORD* is a fountain of life*, to depart from the
snares of death.
- In the multitude of people is the king's honour: but in the want
of people is the destruction of the prince.
- He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that
is hasty of spirit exalteth folly.
- A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness
of the bones.
- He that oppresseth the poor reproacheth his Maker: but he that
honoureth him hath mercy on the poor.
- The wicked is driven away in his wickedness: but the righteous
hath hope in his death.
- Wisdom resteth in the heart of him that hath understanding: but
that which is in the midst of fools is made known.
- Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any
- The king's favour is toward a wise servant: but his wrath is
against him that causeth shame.
- v. 27: "Fear of the Lord": LXX has "Law of the Wise One".
- v. 27: "Fountain of Life": q. v.
Orthodox Library, Ninth Day of Christmas, 2005/6.
Have mercy, O Lord, upon Thy servants
the scribe John, the priest John, Bill, Doris,
and the parishioners of the temple of Saint Andrew in Lubbock.
THE END, AND TO GOD BE THE GLORY!