This document is in the public domain. Copying it is
King James Version.
- The word which came unto Jeremiah from the LORD in the days of
Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah, saying,
- Go unto the house of the Rechabites, and speak unto them, and
bring them into the house of the LORD, into one of the chambers, and
give them wine to drink.
- Then I took Jaazaniah the son of Jeremiah, the son of Habaziniah,
and his brethren, and all his sons, and the whole house of the
- And I brought them into the house of the LORD, into the chamber
of the sons of Hanan, the son of Igdaliah, a man of God, which was by
the chamber of the princes, which was above the chamber of Maaseiah
the son of Shallum, the keeper of the door:
- And I set before the sons of the house of the Rechabites pots
full of wine, and cups, and I said unto them, Drink ye wine.
- But they said, We will drink no wine: for Jonadab the son of
Rechab our father commanded us, saying, Ye shall drink no wine,
neither ye, nor your sons for ever:
- Neither shall ye build house, nor sow seed, nor plant vineyard,
nor have any: but all your days ye shall dwell in tents; that ye may
live many days in the land where ye be strangers.
- Thus have we obeyed the voice of Jonadab the son of Rechab our
father in all that he hath charged us, to drink no wine all our days,
we, our wives, our sons, nor our daughters;
- Nor to build houses for us to dwell in: neither have we vineyard,
nor field, nor seed:
- But we have dwelt in tents, and have obeyed, and done according
to all that Jonadab our father commanded us.
- But it came to pass, when Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon came up
into the land, that we said, Come, and let us go to Jerusalem for fear
of the army of the Chaldeans, and for fear of the army of the Syrians:
so we dwell at Jerusalem.
- Then came the word of the LORD unto Jeremiah, saying,
- Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Go and tell the
men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, Will ye not receive
instruction to hearken to my words? saith the LORD.
- The words of Jonadab the son of Rechab, that he commanded his
sons not to drink wine, are performed; for unto this day they drink
none, but obey their father's commandment: notwithstanding I have
spoken unto you, rising early and speaking; but ye hearkened not unto
- I have sent also unto you all my servants the prophets, rising
up early and sending them, saying, Return ye now every man from his
evil way, and amend your doings, and go not after other gods to serve
them, and ye shall dwell in the land which I have given to you and to
your fathers: but ye have not inclined your ear, nor hearkened unto
- Because the sons of Jonadab the son of Rechab have performed the
commandment of their father, which he commanded them; but this people
hath not hearkened unto me:
- Therefore thus saith the LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel;
Behold, I will bring upon Judah and upon all the inhabitants of
Jerusalem all the evil that I have pronounced against them: because I
have spoken unto them, but they have not heard; and I have called unto
them, but they have not answered.
- And Jeremiah said unto the house of the Rechabites, Thus saith
the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Because ye have obeyed the
commandment of Jonadab your father, and kept all his precepts, and
done according unto all that he hath commanded you:
- Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel;
Jonadab the son of Rechab shall not want a man to stand before me for
- v. 2, "Rechabites":
Orthodox Library, St. Macarius the Great 2006.
Have mercy, O Lord, upon Thy servants
the scribe John, the reverend Bishop Job,
and all the parishioners of the temple of Saint Andrew in Lubbock.
THE END, AND TO GOD BE THE GLORY!