Vyg and Leksa
Old Believer double
monastery in Russian Karelia.
It was founded in
1695 on the model of pre-Nikonian Solovki,
but with a women's community as well as the men's. Under the leadership
of the celebrated Brothers Denisov, Vyg emerged as perhaps the major
Old Belief in the first half of the XVIII Century, then went into a long
decline and was closed by the government in 1855.
Norman Hugh Redington
- Robert O. Crummey:
The Old Believers and the World of Antichrist.
A standard scholarly work about the Vyg Community.
University of Wisconsin Press, 1970.
An old watercolour of Vyg Monastery.
--- University of Toronto
Return to St Pachomius Library.