Founded in 724 by St. Pirminius, "Augia Dives",
on the island of Reichenau
in Lake Constance, became a literary and artistic center in the Middle
Ages. The monks followed the rule of St. Benedict. When Charles the Fat
was overthrown in the IX Century, he retired to Reichenau, where he was
buried in 888, although he had since regained the throne of France.
Walafrid Strabo, Hatto of Mainz, and Herimannus Contractus (Herman the
Lame) were among the famous monks who lived at Reichenau. The monastery
held the relics of St. Mark and of St. George, frescoes of whom, done in
the X Century, are expressions of the monastery's artistic merit. The
library and scriptorium of Augia dives contributed much to its fame. (Most
of the library's collection is now in Karlsruhe). Augia Dives was
secularized in 1802.
Karen Rae Keck
Under construction --- far from complete! Read with caution.
Return to St Pachomius Library.