The Roman Papacy (as an institution)
See also the Popes of Rome.
Under construction --- far from complete! Read with caution.
- Evolution of Papal Claims:
- The Donation of Constantine:
A forged document making the pope effectively Emperor of the West.
- W. Ernest Beet:
The Rise of the Papacy, AD 385-461, (1910).
London: Kelly, 1910.
- Orthodox Views of the Papacy:
- Francis Dvornik:
Byzantium and the Roman Primacy, (1964).
New York: Fordham, 1966.
- Some Orthodox popes whose policies shaped later developments:
- Should Roman practice supercede all local custom?
- Orbis major est urbe: No one city, not even the capital, can
claim that its
idiosyncratic practices are correct and the rest of Christendom's custom
is in error.
- In what sense is the Pope first among bishops?
- The bishop of Rome and of the most obscure rural diocese are
successors of the apostles:
- Is it the Pope who guarantees the Church's
Return to St Pachomius Library.