St. Acca of Hexham
Disciple and successor of St. Wilfrid. Although one
of the outstanding bishops of the Northumbrian
Church, he became involved in canonical and political
difficulties and was deposed as bishop of
Hexham. According to one tradition, he then
became abbot-bishop of Whithorn.
Nevertheless, he was buried at Hexham. St. Acca was noted for
introducing Mediterranean liturgical practices and
artwork, including some from the Greek East; one of the
items later found in his tomb was a portable altar
inscribed in part "agiæ sophiæ". There
is a tradition that he brought some relics of
(the patron saint of Hexham) to Whithorn, from whence they
were eventually conveyed to
St. Andrew's in Scotland; however,
there is also another tradition that the relics in St. Andrew's
were brought directly from Patras by St. Regulus in the IV
1912 Catholic Encyclopedia: (Read with caution)
Catholic Patron Saints:
Saints Acca and Alcmund of Hexham.
- The Grave of St. Acca:
In the XI Century, St. Acca's relics were translated from
their apparently outdoor burial site to the Hexham
Abbey church. According to some accounts, the original grave
had been marked by the large Orthodox stone cross which can still
be seen at the Abbey today; whether this is true or not, the cross
certainly dates from Anglo-Saxon times and is notable for its synthesis
of Celtic, Saxon, and Mediterranean artistic styles. A second ancient
cross from another part of Hexham is also displayed at the Abbey.
--- Hexham Abbey
Return to St Pachomius Library.