This document is in the public domain. Copying it is
King James Version.
- The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder,
and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the
glory that shall be revealed:
- Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight
thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but
of a ready mind;
- Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples
to the flock.
- And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a
crown of glory that fadeth not away.
- Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all
of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for
God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
- Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he
may exalt you in due time:
- Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
- Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a
roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
- Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same
afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
- But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal
glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you
perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
- To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
- By Silvanus, a faithful brother unto you, as I suppose, I have
written briefly, exhorting, and testifying that this is the true grace
of God wherein ye stand.
- The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you,
saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.
- Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace be with you
all that are in Christ Jesus. Amen.
- v. 1, "Elders ... elder": Apparently, the distinction between
priests and bishops was not yet made
( St. Jerome, Ep. 146, i;).
Orthodox Library, St. Theodore of Smolensk and Yaroslavl, 2004.
Have mercy, O Lord, upon Thy servants
the scribe John, the priest John, Magdalena,
and the parishioners of the temple of Saint Andrew in Lubbock.
THE END, AND TO GOD BE THE GLORY!